One of the greatest pleasures is watching a movie outdoors under the stars during the summer. And what better backdrop than the New York City skyline? There are plenty of places to watch outdoor movies in nYC this summer, almost every night of the week. Here are some of our favorites.
Brooklyn Bridge Park – SyFy Movies with a View – Every Thursday night, watch a different movie from around the world under the iconic Brooklyn Bridge. DJs perform sets at 6pm and the movie starts at 8. Check the schedule here.
Rockaway Beach – Rockaway Civic’s Beach Flix – Movies are shown on different areas of the beach every Friday night. There are different concessions each week. The movies start at sundown. Check the schedule here.
Hudson River Park – River Flicks for Grownups – Free popcorn and a great view of the sunset (over Jersey). Movies began around 8:30pm every Friday. Check the schedule here.
Central Park – Central Park Conservancy Film Festival – Vote on the movies to watch at Sheep’s Meadow. This festival lasts one week only, and a different movie is shown each night at 8pm. Check the schedule here.
Bryant Park – HBO Summer Film Festival – Catch a film on a Monday night. Gates open at 5pm. Go early to get a spot. These movies tend to draw big crowds. Check the schedule here.
Socrates Sculpture Park – Outdoor Cinema 2013- Check out international films screened on Wednesday evenings at sunset. Food and performers start at 7pm. Check the schedule here.
The Local’s Outdoor Movie Tips
- Pack a blanket or low slung chairs for maximum comfort. Stake out your space early!
- Bring your own food and drink to avoid expensive concessions. Some good movie picnic essentials are cheese and bread, grapes or berries, pre-packaged salads, sandwiches – really anything that doesn’t need constant refrigeration and can be eaten with your hands!
- If you want to talk during the movie, stay in the back. You don’t want angry film goers shushing you.
- Check out what the performances are before the film. Sometimes those are more fun than the movie itself!
- Be responsible, and pick up your garbage when you leave.