The Bar and Cafe at The Local NY

Under the direction of the General Manager, The Local NY’s bar manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the hostel’s bar and café. Duties include bar/café operations, such as taking inventory and placing orders in a timely manner, the coordination and management of special events, and the training of bartenders and baristas. Additional responsibilities include updating and growing the Local’s social media presence and maintaining positive guest relationships. The bar and café serve both international travelers and local residents who are an eclectic mix of families, artists, manufacturers, and mechanics. The Local NY’s bar/café is located in the lobby of a busy, modern hostel in Long Island City.

We are currently looking for a candidate with a true passion for hospitality. The right individual will provide extraordinary service to our guests and also promote the bar and design unique events in order to attract new customers. This is a full-time position, and will include nights, weekends, and holidays. About 70% of your work week will be behind the bar serving guests, while the remaining 30% will be spent completing essential administrative tasks such as inventory, ordering, planning events, and occasionally recruiting and training. 

The ideal candidate will have the following:
• Prior mixology experience and a knowledge of beer and wine
• Experience with sourcing and ordering wines, spirits, and beer
• An upbeat and positive attitude
• The ability to engage positively with customers
• Supervisory skills
• Knowledge of positive social media management, including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
• TIPS certification, and NYC food handlers certificate

Application Requirements:
• Must submit a resume in PDF or Word format to
• Email subject line must contain “Bar Manager” and your name
• Please provide a cover letter explaining why you feel you are the right person for this job, what sets you apart from other candidates, and be sure to tell us your favorite coffee beverage and cocktail, wine or beer!

Please note that submissions that do not follow the instructions above cannot be considered.